Fort Hood Texas is the largets active duty army post and is the only one of its kind that can support two full armor divisions. In addition to the 1st Cavalry Division and the 4th Infantry Division, Fort Hood TX also has the headquarters Command III Corps, 3rd Signal Brigade, 13th Sustainment Command, 13 Finance Group, 89th Military Police Brigade, 504 th Military Intelligence Brigade, 21st Cavalry Brigae (Air Combat), the Dental Activity, The Medical Support Activity and Army Operational Test Command as well as various other units and tennant organizations.
Fort Hood TX was named after John Bell Hood. A famous confederate army General, during the Civil War he gained recognition as the commander of Hood's Texas Brigade. John Bell Hood resigned his commision in the union army in 1861 to join the Confderate Army, where he started out as a First Lieutenant in the Calvary. he Rose rapidly in rank and in May of 1862 was named Brigadier General. His men re-wrote the song "The Yellow Rose of Texas." Part of the new words were "The gallant Hood of Texas played hell in Tennesee." During the battle of Chicamauga, Hood lost his right leg. Lee relieved Hood of his command after he refused to turn over captured ambulances to the confederacy, Hood wanted to keep the ambulances for the care of his own men. Lee re-instated Hood, but stipulated that he must apologize, which he never did. After the war was over, John Hood moved to New Orleans. After unsuccesful business attemps, John Hood and his wife both died of yellow fever, leaving behind ten children.
The original site of Fort hood Texas was picked in 1941 with construction beggining in 1942 at South Fort Hood. TX North Fort Hood, Texas seventeen miles north of South Fort Hood, was established after the first land aquisition and the founding of the contonment area.
Fort Hood Texas, at the time the larget single Army post in the united states had reduced its activity following world War II until the outbreak of the Korean conflict in 1950. The 340 square mile post is Bordered on the east by Killeen, Tx and the west by Copperas cove, Texas. The post was designated as permanent in 1951. The originaal master plan called for 1000 housing units, a theater, library, dental clinic and tactical equipment shops. Construction started in 1961 and in 1963 ground-breaking cerimonies were held for Darnall Army Hospital wich opened in 1965.
Work progressed into the 1970's as Fort hood's population increased and the army established a policy of modernizing living and recreation facilities for its soldiers. Today there are more than 5,000 sets of government quarters for enlisted saldiers and teir families, 635 sets of quarters for officers and teir families. The post also has almost 100 barracks for enlisted soldiers, 75 guest quarters and 340 transient quarters.
During this time the warfighting capabilities of the units assigned to Ft Hood TX have evolved into the digitized warfare era, the most modernized fighting equipment in the world. Soldiers are also trained in state-of-the-art training facilities in close combat traing simulators which are exact replicas of the tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles that they crew.